This time let us take a look at some easily and often confused words…
間違いやすい英単語のペアー①Accept and Except
1. “to hold something as true,”
2. “to receive something willingly,”
3. “to answer yes”
- I accept he may have been tired, but he should be more polite.
- I accept her behavior, I’m not sure whether she accepts mine.
- The queen has accepted your invitation.
1. “apart from,” “excluding”. For example: In this world nothing is free, except the air we breathe.
2. “but,” “if not the fact that”. For example: I always answer the phone, except when I don’t want to.
3. “to exclude”. For example: They are excepted from the general rule.
間違いやすい英単語のペアー②Affect and Effect
Affect means to impact on, to transform, or to change. For example: Did the cold affect you? Do not use low-fat milk. It will affect the taste.
Effect means result, consequence, or appearance. For example: What effect did your sickness have? That is a nice effect.
間違いやすい英単語のペアー③Drank and Drunk
“Drank” is the past tense of “to drink.” For example: I drank my coffee too quickly.
“Drunk” is the past participle of “to drink” ( the version that follows “had,” “has,” or “have”). For example: I have drunk too much.
A “drunk” is a person who drinks too much or is an alcoholic. For example: She is a drunk.
“Drunk” can be an adjective, which means intoxicated. For example: The drunk man was not as handsome as he thought.
間違いやすい英単語のペアー④Fewer and Less
Use “less” when referring to a single thing. For example: less homework; less milk; less speed.
Use “fewer” when referring to more than one item. For example: fewer words; fewer pieces of apple; fewer people.
間違いやすい英単語のペアー⑤See, Look, and Watch
“To see” means to discern with the eyes. For example: I see you. According to Jack, Paula sees the world in black and white.
“To look” means to utilize the power to see. For example: Look at the stars. I will look for you on the internet.
“To watch” means to concentrate on something you are seeing (usually something that is moving). For example: Watch the TV. She watched the fish. He watched the girl walk over from the bar.
I hope some of these guides were of use to you, and we can go over some more in the next blog.
座右の銘は「Never be afraid to always try new things and places, and enjoy life to its fullest.」